Thursday, February 26, 2009

Alpental - Resort ski - 02.26.09

So, my 50th post shouldn't be about resort skiing. And it should at least have some pictures. Since I've been told trip reports without pictures are like peanut butter without chocolate, I have been trying to include them in each report. However, I did not bring a camera today.

Thanks to generous people, (You know who you are.) or perhaps my own generosity, I was presented earlier this week with two passes to Snoqualmie Summit. When I woke up to two inches of snow on the ground in Seattle this Thursday morning, I knew I had to go up to Alpental.

I arrived shortly after opening and started getting fresh tracks from Chair 1 in the morning. After a few warm up runs, I started riding Chair 2. The snow in the Edelweiss Bowl was knee deep powder. Super enjoyable for most of the runs. Since there was a bit of wind, and it continued to snow during my stay, even runs after Noon still seemed untracked. There were areas of low coverage all over the mountain. On the upper mountain, it was particularly icy after the powder got skied off. After about four hours and 10000'+ of vertical skied, my thighs were burning. I decided to call it quits and head home. It was hard to leave as I was having lots of fun, so I took one last ride up Chair 1. You know it is time to stop skiing when you are losing the strength to turn and stop. It just gets dangerous. The last run down sealed it, and I headed home.

Overall, it was a great day to be out.

No comments: