Sunday, January 17, 2010

Resort Skiing - 01.17.09

No pictures, as I wasn't planning on writing anything up about this trip. I sprung for a discount lift ticket to Snoqualmie Pass, as I knew the weather was going to be rainy for this weekend, and I was once again lacking partners. Skiing in bounds in a safe way to enjoy the mountains solo on a weekend like this.

This was also a great opportunity to try the skis I got from a friend. (Thanks again Steve!) It was also the first time I had been on a ski other than my own in almost two years. After having only skied intermediate/beginner skis, it was a different experience getting on an advanced ski. (I had brought my randonee skis with me in case these new to me skis didn't work out.)

Steve had told me that the skis needed to be driven to turn, and he wasn't kidding. I decided to start on a green run to see what the skis would do. Or perhaps to minimize the damage if I fell. Initially they seemed to operate in a similar fashion to my Shuksans. After a few turns, I got lazy and didn't drive them through the turn. They were not as forgiving and I had to come to a stop. After that successful run (hey I didn't fall) I decided to get on a blue run.

Conditions were a touch icy, but pretty decent for skiing. On the blue run I found myself turning a little too much as I did not want to get lax and have an incident. After a bunch of laps on blue runs, I got the hang of the skis and started running some blacks. It was a good time except for a fall I took on relatively flat terrain right near a ski patroller. I'm not sure what happened but I went down hard and fast. And I slid for a bit.

The weather held, and I left before any precip started. It was probably warm enough that it would have been rain, but I didn't wait to find out. Always a learning experience being out on skis.

No comments: