Monday, December 22, 2008

Skiing

I'm going to have to change the title of this blog if I keep posting like this. (No trip report, just rambling.)

I realized that I don't love skiing. Not yet at least. I got into skiing as a more efficient (is it?) method of snow travel than snowshoeing. So far most of my ski experience was not about travel, but about learning to ski. Two trips of note that were traveling trips were Camp Muir and Source Lake. (thanks Sammy) My trips so far this winter have been about gaining practice and are still learning experiences for me. Similar to going out to rock climb at a crag. I have only recently started enjoying trips to the crags, even though I still consider them practice for alpine climbs. At this time, trips to Silver Basin and Hyak are snow crags, practice for when I attempt something more difficult or more remote.

It isn't that I don't enjoy skiing. In fact I sometimes really enjoy it. (Like my November trip to Heliotrope Ridge.) Often, I find myself attempting not to get hurt, or trying not to fall down. I guess that is part of the learning curve. However, when I forget about falling and keep my thoughts to skiing, it becomes quite enjoyable. Like my second run at Hyak on Saturday. I still fell, but I was able to enjoy the run more.

I went out for a XC ski yesterday and today around the neighborhood. Initially it was the same. The more I think about falling, the harder the skiing becomes and the less I enjoy it. Once I stop thinking negative, the skiing comes more naturally and I enjoy it more. Although with the conditions in the neighborhood, it is somewhat difficult to enjoy. (Breakable crust, rutted compact snow.)

I guess like climbing, the more you do it, the less you think about the negative aspects, and more you enjoy it.

No comments: