Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wish List 2010 - Objectives

With the year winding down, it is time again to come up with some ideas for next year. Since I did not do such a great job on the 2009 tick list, some of those goals will be back. And of course, I'll have to come up with some new ones as well.

Leftovers from '09:
West Ridge of Thompson
NE Ridge of Triumph
NE Buttress of Goode
Torment>Forbidden Traverse
Curious Cube (at Static Point)
Dreamer redux
Outerspace redux
Tatoosh Traverse (Unicorn)

Ski objectives:
Sahale
Ingalls (approach)
(These were from last year, but since they are not exactly new objectives...)
Three Sisters Traverse
Ruth or Ruth/Icy
I'd like to get onto something a bit steeper as well, but I'm not sure what that is.

New objectives:
Alpine ice routes, Kautz? North Ridge of Baker? Adams Glacier?
Glacier Peak
A route on Mt. Stuart (W. Ridge/N. Ridge)
Something in the Olympics (Brothers traverse?)
Something that takes a while to get to (Dome? Pickets?)

Since my to do list doesn't dwindle it is hard to think of new routes that I may be interested in. Unlike last year, I have a different take on my list for 2010. This time I'll schedule a bunch of the big items, but the one day trips might be more spontaneous in planning. I'd also like to revisit North Twin Sister, and possibly the traverse to the South Twin. As well as doing it on skis, and at least bringing a mountain bike. Goals like North Twin Sister and The Mole will stay off the list and be used as alternates and backups when avy danger is high in early season.

I feel like I am running out of routes to climb in Leavenworth. (I know this is not true.) But I have a few on the list and perhaps a few more in my head that I am interested in attempting next year. I would also like to go back to Squamish next year as I have a few more routes on The Apron I'd like to tackle. Not to mention having another shot at The Ultimate Everything!

I'd also like to do more climbing/skiing etc. in Oregon this Winter if possible. Perhaps a trip to the Wallowas or to Bachelor. I'm not adverse to skiing some of the other volcanoes as well. A trip to Smith always seems to be a good idea at some point. There are definitely some routes there I still need to tackle as well.

I'll say that sometimes I get ideas from friends who propose them to me. I wasn't so much interested in the West Ridge of Mount Stuart until Josh proposed it. Now I find it quite interesting. In the mean time, I'm going to try and get on some steep snow and ice this winter and I even may be going to Joshua Tree before our rock season officially starts here.

If you got any ideas, or want to join me on some of the ideas I listed, let me know. I'm not sure how this next year will play out.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Gilbie, count me in for Thomson and Squamish and other rock routes! And I'm definitely interested in W Ridge of S - but would have to commit to it early so I can train. - Sabrina